Listed as a « Monument historique » since 1928
Architectural witness of the Renaissance
Elegance of the Renaissance’s style
With the end of the Middle Ages and the transition towards a new lifestyle, castles open to the outside world and welcome the natural light. However, they remain militarised as religious wars continue to rage. New defensive technology is developed, with the notable creation of artillery.
Since 1976, the castle has been patiently restored. Frames, roofs, masonry, decorations and parquet flooring, each element has been the subject of the major restoration plan still in progress today.
As we see it, the castle has come down to us unchanged since the 16th century except for the ravages of time. For this reason it was listed as « Monument Historique » since 1928.
The medieval fortress overlooks the Vézère river. In 1576 a Renaissance Hall was built within the stronghold. It is enclosed by curtain walls and surrounded on three sides by a major ditch. A bridge over this deep moat allow the visitors to access to the courtyard and the main building.
Like many 16th century Perigord constructions, it is made up of different volumes covered with imposing sloping roofs. For the decoration of the façade carved in blond limestone, the master builder used the entire classical decorative alphabet of the Renaissance.
The large and magnificent terrace leaning on the cliff reveals, in all its majesty, all the beauty of the Vézère valley.
The ceremonial staircase and halls also feature remarkable ornaments, such as fireplaces and carved decorations.
Antique furniture an tapestries
Inside the fine décor and the exceptional period furnishings, bear witness to the grand lifestyle of the Marquess of Jean II de Losse in the 16th century.
Completed with tapestries and paintings, the décor is perfectly evocative of the spirit of the time.